The goal of the PanScales project is to deepen our understanding, and to improve, the core, parton shower, component of general purpose Monte Carlo event generators, the most widely used theoretical tools in particle physics. Almost every analysis of high-energy collider data relies on simulations with these generators.
The project asks questions such as:
- What criteria should we be using to assess the scope and accuracy of parton showers?
- What accuracy is achieved by some given class of parton shower?
- Can we design parton showers with higher accuracies than is possible today?
- What are the phenomenological implications of our understanding of parton showers?
Our hope is that the PanScales project will make it possible to extract more extensive information about the fundamental particles and interactions that make up our universe.
- arXiv:2103.16526, Spin correlations in final-state parton showers and jet observables
- arXiv:2011.10054, Colour and logarithmic accuracy in final-state parton showers
- arXiv:2007.10355, Groomed jet mass as a direct probe of collinear parton dynamics
- arXiv:2002.11114, Parton showers beyond leading logarithmic accuracy
- arXiv:1805.09327, Logarithmic accuracy of parton showers: a fixed-order study
- arXiv:1807.04758, The Lund Jet Plane
- Mrinal Dasgupta (University of Manchester)
- Keith Hamilton (University College London)
- Pier Monni (CERN)
- Gavin Salam (University of Oxford and All Souls College)
- Grégory Soyez (Institut de Physique Théorique, Saclay)
- Frédéric Dreyer (University of Oxford, RS funded)
- Basem Kamal El-Menoufi (University of Manchester, ERC funded)
- Silvia Ferrario Ravasio (University of Oxford, ERC funded)
- Alexander Karlberg (University of Oxford, ERC funded)
- Ludovic Scyboz (University of Oxford, RS funded)
- Alba Soto Ontoso (IPhT, Saclay, ERC funded)
- Melissa van Beekveld (University of Oxford, STFC funded)
- Rob Verheyen (University College London, ERC funded)
- Rok Medves (University of Oxford, ERC funded)
- Emma Slade
All openings have currently been filled.
Core funding for the project comes from
- The European Research Council (PanScales Advanced Grant, 788223)
- The Royal Society (Royal Society Research Professorship, RP\R1\180112)